Shibori-Style Crimp Cloth I


The start of a new project is always exciting, This one even more so, because I am learning a technique I have not done before. Diane Totten designed this pattern and project and it is in the current Handwoven magazine. 


The warp threads are mostly tencel and the deep red are silk. They are all fine. Aren't the colours really wonderful?


While sleying the reed I had to insert two ends per dent (30 epi) and so I strung a cord across the mid point. The first thread of the pair went below and the second above. Granted, in this design I would say this is not a critical distinction (keeping the warp thread sequence) but it was good practice. I did make some mistakes with sleying and threading but nothing major. I suspect not even I will be able to find those mistakes at the end.



Just tied on and ready to begin throwing picks. The design is an overshot draft and makes use of two shuttles. I really enjoyed sitting at the loom and working on this, mostly because the colours made me so happy. Diane said the colours were inspired by those of a tropical parrot.



The first few picks are underway. Here you can see the two weft threads for the ruffle that will form at the start and finish ends of the scarf. The ruffle parts will not be crimped and thus do not have the drawing in threads woven through them.


If you look at the left edge of the cloth you can make out some yellow loops. These are strong and slick pulling threads. They are thicker than the weft and will be used to draw in the fabric to make the crinkles.


The drawing threads have a draft of their own which you should be able to see here. The pattern was easy to memorize and a good rhythm was established.


The only issue thus far was a failed attempt at making my first paper quill. I suppose I wound the weft on too close to the ends of the quill. This is a fine mess you've gotten us into. Thank goodness I had enough of this thread still on the cone to complete the project with. I was not excited by the prospect of having to try to unravel this. It is finer than a human hair.


And so the weaving proceeded well after that. Here you can see the weaving at the finish ruffle end. Also there is a line of Fray Check over the cutting line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom