Ulla Cyrus Loom

Get a look at what followed me home recently! I have gleefully adopted "Courage"  - my new addition to the family. WELCOME.


The original owner of this loom was William Dyer, a famous weaver who lived in California and Washington State. He made very fine damasks with this loom. 


 A very large loom manufactured by Oxaback in Sweden. The model is called "Ulla Cyrus". It is a vertical countermarch with 16 shafts and 18 treadles. Plus it has the additional, optional unit draw and pattern shaft draw. Two different drawloom attachments. The weaving width is 63 inches.


 I picked up this beauty in the north part of Texas, and the loom was already disassembled. This photo shows just a fraction of the gear. It was great fun to meet the current owner.


Here we have returned home and both the box of the truck and the 5 x 12  landscape trailer are entirely filled with loom pieces. Completely. It is a lot of gear.


And this is a glimpse at a small portion of the loom pieces. The loom will be set up inside the Mermaid Lounge, my weaving shed.




I hope to have the basic loom set up before I leave for my Canadian home. Wish me luck because right now it is just a giant three dimensional wooden puzzle.

Edited to add: Here is a shot of the loom being assembled in The Mermaid Lounge, my weaving shed here in Texas.


In this photo I have the countermarch unit in place. but all the lamms and shafts need to be hung. 


Here is a shot from the back corner. Part of the pattern draw is visible in the back left of the image. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again