Loom Land

 And here are the "after" pictures. Isn't that Canadian Maple just a lovely glowing wood? It matches well with the tumbler of Forty Creek Whisky that sits atop the castle - also a Canadian beauty. So you can see there are two upright posts now, side by side. There are eight shafts and therefore ten treadles. This is part of the expansion from four shafts I mentioned previously. Yes, those are John Deere curtains I made for Mr. They are staying. He suggested that I should weave new curtains. Maybe once these ones fade too much in the sun.
 The view is from the left side. In the centre of the shot in the bold sunshine is the box for the new flying shuttle beater. The same box exists on the other side as well. A fancy shuttle with metal tips is propelled by a tug of the cord and races along the "race", across the beater to the other side, where it stops inside the box and awaits my command. This mechanism will speed up my throwing of the weft and also eliminates the need for the person to really stretch and reach for the very wide warps.
 Mr and I had to make several modifications due to pieces missing from the kit or modified by the previous owner. One of the modifications was to create a few new "treadle extenders". Count'em, ten treadles ready and waiting.
 It took us the better part of three days to gut out the shed, clean up, move the loom in (in pieces), clean the loom and all new bits, and then assemble. Oh and the organizing and cleaning at the end makes for a friendly space. You're right, the celebratory picture just doesn't look right without a warp on it. I will have to make time to do that!
And last but not least, behind the loom is enough space for warping. I have a warping reel there in the corner on the table and on the wall just to the left (where you can't see it), we mounted a warping frame. I will be able to do my drum carding out here (for spinning) and other fibre preparation, spinning, sewing and maybe knitting too! I am very happy and very excited about starting to use this space.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom