Because you are going to ask

Okay so here are a few pictures that tell the tale. The mosaic purse has been knit and now it needs to be lined. Here the purse is already sewn together, using the mattress stitch or invisible stitch. You are looking at the inside with all the floats and loose ends. In this next image is the cotton broadcloth lining. I used a frisky remnant of fabric I received from friends in New Zealand. I simply cut three pieces all just a little bigger than the outline of the three knit pieces. Then I sewed the cotton together on a machine. The top edges and strap edges all have a minimal hem folded over just once. And I ran the stitching line as close to the edge as I could.
Here is a close up of the corner detail. You may need to lop off a triangle of cotton at each corner just to allow ease for making it around the bend.

Drum roll please! Here the lining is going into the knit purse.



A sneak peek at the lining before it gets sewn in. Normally I would recommend a plain light coloured lining, to make it easier to find things in there. But this fabric was begging to be used. It's the only fabric I've ever used that has volcanoes on it.



Another close up shot. This time I'm showing you the very simple hand sewing stitch to attach the lining to the knit fabric.



I am using crepe myrtle branches for my handles. Make sure to line the straps too, as they will take a lot of weight. Wrap the straps around the branches and hand tack into place. Watch your stitching on the good side to make sure you don't wind up with unsightly bars of thread.






A peek into the gaping maw. What do you think I will store in there?






And here is the finished purse. I like the simplicity of it and the size. I think this will work as a project for the mosaic knitting workshop.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom