Knit Design Update One

2011 #1: I've been a busy little beaver, knitting up three different kinds of squares. All very simple. This design started with a gift of yarn; just one ball. So once it gained a life of it's own, I had to scramble to find other yarns to go with it into a project. It is all acrylic because, well, that's what the gift was, and it is going to be a mat or blanket for a baby. It should be as easy to care for as possible. The mat.... not the baby..... they are never "easy".
The yarn I received was the variegated one in the bottom left. Aqua to blue. Very soft. Nice for a baby. Then I bought the plain darker aqua to match. But the gauge is different so I made simple garter stitch, to preserve the thickness across the mat. Finally, I was at a yarn shop that carried the same soft acrylic but I couldn't get the exact colour, and so we have a solid lighter aqua.

Yes, there isn't an even number of variegated rectangles, but I don't mind, and I don't think baby will either. The moment I put the pattern together I thought of fences and fields. So naturally, I am adding longhorns to the blanket. Stay tuned for more pictures soon!


2011 - #2: In the meantime Mr. needed another neckwarmer because his other handknit one is stored on the boat. So this falls into the category of emergency knitting. An unexpected cool snap visited us. A simple and fast project had to be knit up. It is a bit shorter than most neckwarmers I make, but still could be pulled up over one's snout if necessary.



This yarn is a lovely variegated wool from New Zealand. It reminds me of the colours of Lake Tekapo, a stunning glacial lake. While the photograph doesn't do it justice, there are simple purl ridges running laterally across, making a simple texture. And the verdict is "warm" and so I have done my good deed for the day!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom