Lagoon Beach




Lagoon Beach was the destination tonight. I hadn't hiked down here before and a friend and her dog showed me the way. It's a great and easy walk (well, a couple of little hills to get down to the shoreline). The leaves are falling and turning gold, and they smell so good.


A little chill in the air meant that it was good to keep moving. Back home I covered the tomatoes, as I heard a low of 2 for tonight. Why chance it. There's lots of fruit on the plants, so I'd rather see then ripen outside.


Back to the rocks. Of course the Pleistocene glaciation is responsible for the smooth and polished appearance of the exposures. Around ten thousand years ago the huge ice sheets melted back and revealed the newly buffed surface of the planet. The bright orange colour on the surface is a type of lichen that favours iron-rich rocks.


And the shallow pools and divets were full of cobbles and pebbles, many that travelled hundreds of kilometres in those ice sheets. In both directions stretched beaches entirely made of cobbles.




Comments

  1. I sooooo would like to go camping in your area !!
    I live near Washington D.C. ugh! I miss the forests of Minnesota where I grew up :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom