Pecan trees

Before

After
What happens to pecan trees when you are not around to water them, is that they die. The Texas summers are brutally hot and dry. A few years back, when we were removing the trunks from some trees already cut down, we found evidence of underground irrigation. A very old system. So it is apparent that without the aid of a lot of water, these pecan trees are not surviving well. I think I only have six trees left, of the nineteen that were on the property when I moved in. I am coming up to my ten year anniversary in this home. 

It is going to take some adjusting to the reality of these big gaps. I love trees and am always very sad when they have to go. Yesterday three trees were taken down by safe methods.  I am glad that these trees will never be able to damage our buildings. But I am saddened by their loss. 

Before

After

Well, on to better news. I am always crafting and teaching about it. Recently I have been helping a couple of gals get going on their rigid heddle weaving. At home, I am weaving another Lithuanian folk pattern inspired rug. 

Nice, eh? It is getting close to being done. 

And over on the knitting side, another project is in final stages now. This shawl is on the blocking board. 

Initially I used up leftover handspun "Paprika" yarn to make the central rectangle. It is done in a diagonal lace pattern. When I got to the end of the yarn, the piece was not quite long enough to be a cozy shawl. So I was lucky at a sale one day and found the deep orange baby llama yarn. So I proceeded to knit up the pinecone lace design. In one seamless piece I knit the end extension, two sides and then the opposite end extension. Then I did have to sew the rectangle in to the centre of the llama "frame". 

And for those of you wondering, yes, there was some math involved to calculate the precise fit of the surrounding piece. I am very pleased with it and feel like I want to keep this piece for myself. 

As the blocking continues, my living room and dining room smell like a wet llama. But that's okay. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom