My Catalogne Adventure Begins




Here are two images showing the start of my Catalogne.   This is my interpretation of a traditional Quebec blanket.

In the top image there is green waste yarn at the first margin.  Then I even found Phentex a neighbour gave me and that will work as a hem.   Then we move on to the blanket proper.

I started with white cotton threads and wove 3 cm. Then I went to some brown rag strips and wove three cm.  There is an alternation every three cm. I was told by a weaver experienced in making these blankets to alternate between rag sections and normal thread sections.  Otherwise the blanket could wind up too heavy and stiff.


After the yellow and blue rag I chose a medium blue rag.  I am making this up as I go. But I may try for symmetry after the midpoint. Then I could reverse the stripe sequence.  I hope there is enough of everything for that to work. I am using up stash yarns given to me.  So there is a finite amount on hand.

I am having fun with this project so far.

Comments

  1. This is going to be a beautiful blanket! Am I correct in thinking your are using rags (strips of cloth) in the fatter picks... How wide are the strips?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes you are right. The chunkier segments are strips of rag. They are all knit fabrics. Like tshirt or a touch thicker. And it looks like most stris are about an inch wide although some are probably more like 1.5 inches.

      Cheera

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom