Something New For Me

As the title suggests, I have yet another new tool for the studio. This time I purchased something new. In fact it is so new, that I was a supporter through Kickstarter. This electric spinning wheel is in the development stage. Eventually it will be available for general purchase.

The first photo shows the beginnings of my spinning on this Electric Eel Wheel 5. I do not need the silicone mat for slippage since the wheel has rubber feet. But the inventor of the wheel found that it runs a little quieter with it. The construction is mostly bamboo and 3D printed plastic. This guy is very small ( around 5 by 7 inches) and very lightweight.

It operates via three different power sources. I can plug into normal household current. In the truck, as a passenger, I can be spinning using the accessory port, drawing power from the vehicle battery. And if I am away from these two sources, I have a portable lithium ion battery that will run it for eleven hours at full speed!

The fiber I am spinning to break in this wheel is Targhee. It is a pretty variegated yarn from lavender to smoky grey and charcoal. I think I will make a two ply.

This overnight case is hard-sided and something I found for free at the recycle tent at the dump. I scored it along with two matching suitcases. Anyhow, it seems this is just the perfect size for transporting everything I need for electric spinning. Eight ounces of fibre fit on top. There are five bobbins in the case, along with all the adapters, the battery pack, a niddy noddy, and a variety of other tools and spare bands. And the wheel!!

I just need to figure out a simple lazy kate. On Ravelry I saw someone's idea to glue some teflon washers to the lid of the case and install metal rods. Maybe I will try that. Possibly I will wait for the inventor of the EEW5 to produce his lazy kate, which is currently heading into testing phase.

Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom