So little time...

 How's this for a cool little gadget? I bought it recently for a few dollars to have as a decoration. It is from an old ribbon weaving loom. The wooden box or base was mounted vertically on the front of a giant loom, with the thread feeding out the hole in the top of the handle. The base of the shuttle is notched and a cog wheel adjusts the angle of the shuttle on the base. As I hold the smooth, worn handle, I wonder about how many miles of ribbon were woven.

 I have been remiss at photographing completed projects (as all my friends are informing me) so I am going to try to catch up. But as you all know I would rather be crafting....

Above is a piece that came off the loom last night. Blue cotton warp, with alternating bright green and sage green weft segments. It is a balanced twill pattern. I had two crossed threads at the start and one warp thread broke midway into the weaving. Both are easy fixes.

Detail of the twill above. The warp is running left-right. This piece will wind up being a baby sling. It was a bit dark in the room when I photographed this. It is really blue and green.


This pink cloth is the cotton and rayon girlie version of the baby sling. I have this one all finished up and with the rings sewn in place. (why baby slings? Because they are simple rectangles).

Stay tuned for photos of baby slings in action!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom