Learn to Spin

 These three lovely skeins are the result of my practising the long draw in spinning. It is a technique for creating woolen yarn; the soft, lofty,warm, springy type of yarn. First I needed to prepare the fibers and blend them. I started with a white mystery wool, green dyed mohair and ivory tussah silk. I am enamoured with this yarn.
 I will be getting a large floor loom in the near future and it was time to re-organize the rock house a little. I wish I could stretch this rock house. For now I had to settle with reorganizing furniture in three rooms. In the guest bedroom, otherwise known as the Painted Floor Studio, I removed one dresser and schlepped the spinning hutch over to a different corner. I think you can make out three wheels jockeying for supremacy and you see a drum carder awaiting my hand.
 Here is the Painted Floor Studio again, looking into the vast northern reaches. Two wheels visible, the drum carder and oh! a recently acquired Wooden Spinner (a skein winder and yardage counter). It is in this nook of the guest bedroom that I hope to be able to squeeze in a giant loom. When in operation the bench will partially block the doorway into my office/aka the Knitting Place. (Okay....so the loom may have to travel up to Canada eventually).
I am learning to decorate with fiber tools and equipment. Naturally the next step is to array my coned yarns and skeins wherever I can find space. In the Painted Floor Studio that means up on the cottage shelves with the smaller soapstone carvings. In the window you can see my very Star Trek-y solar flashlight beside an antique replica lazy kate.
And this final shot is of the floor in the dining room. The paint wasn't even dry when I snapped it, nor was the varnish on to protect it. But I included this shot to show you the floor paint that will be coming to the guest bedroom soon. Did I mention I am painting most of the house this winter?????

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom