Meet the New Mermaid and New Fibre Projects

A little privacy please! This new "wall" began as a request for a little privacy on the back porch. Mornings in the pjs spent sitting out there, coffee in hand, watching the sunrise...ah..... My Dearest accommodated me and built this fabulous wall. A lick of paint was added to match that on the rest of the house (the few parts that aren't rock) and a thrift store painting, and look what a nice Mermaid's Grotto.
Something needed to be done to try to block out some of the 14 overhead wires that could be seen while in the grotto. And thus a new mermaid came to live with us. I drew the image on some thick plywood, and My Dearest very aptly jigsawed it out. Isn't she lovely? Right now she is painted black to match along with window and door trim. She seems right at home over the seaside painting.
Other crafty things happening, and there are lots of them....
Four yarns are coming together to make a sofa throw. Both the centre panel (background) and the border are done in slip stitch knitting. It is so easy to do. The centre piece is so thick it will be lusciously warm.
 I am knitting up a poncho and designing it as I go. I am currently on a cable jag. In the background is the eventual yoke of the poncho; the slit will be similar to a boat neck going from shoulder to shoulder. I am not sure about collar treatment yet. Three of the squares are blocked and two , off to the left, aren't yet. There will be many more squares, because I want this to be fairly long. And I will have to make some rectangle strips too, to fill in between the squares of different sizes.
 On the wheels....Lulu is working on my practising of the long draw method. This is a way to make softer and loftier yarns. I am carding three fibre types together (mystery wool, tussah silk and then the green to teal mohair locks) and then taking that to Lulu for a spin.
 This is another project Lulu is working on. This is merino wool. I have heaps more of this to spin up so I am not sure yet how I will ply it, if at all. I think I should sample it as a singles first.
 Sila is whistling along working up the Perendale wool (natural white). I spun up a bunch of this last winter and hauled it up to camp for dyeing. I will continue along the same lines.
 This wheel, my Reeves saxony, hasn't told me it's name yet. I recently bought a jumbo flyer and bobbins for it and here I was testing out the new rig. This is some burgundy (darker in real life) Colonial wool. I haven't been able to find anything on this breed. I am ready to ply this and will probably practise the chain ply method.
Staying busy as always, and a haven for meandering mermaids, until next time, Arctic Mermaid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medico Loom by Leclerc

What's old is new again

Ulla Cyrus Loom